At Fenstanton and Hilton Primary Geography is an inspirational subject which supports and enhances the learning experiences for the children. Our pupils love to find out about the world around them; their desire to expand their knowledge and understanding of all things “geographical” means the curriculum we offer has to be rich in content and experience. Throughout the school our 4 main areas of the curriculum are intertwined throughout our teaching: Locational Knowledge, Place knowledge, Human physical knowledge and Geography skills and field work
The aims of geography are:
- to enable children to gain knowledge and understanding of places in the world;
- to increase children’s knowledge of other cultures and, in so doing, teach a respect and understanding of what it means to be a positive citizen in a multi-cultural country;
- to allow children to learn graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps;
- to enable children to know and understand environmental problems at a local, regional and global level;
- to encourage in children a commitment to sustainable development and an appreciation of what ‘global citizenship’ means;
- to develop a variety of other skills, including those of enquiry, problem solving, ICT, investigation and how to present their conclusions in the most appropriate way.
Subject content KS2
Pupils should extend their knowledge and understanding beyond the local area to include the United Kingdom and Europe, North and South America. This will include the location and characteristics of a range of the world’s most significant human and physical features. They should develop their use of geographical knowledge, understanding and skills to enhance their locational and place knowledge.
Promoting Geography around our school
We use our large school grounds to enrich our curriculum. In our school we take great pride in creating interactive and engaging displays which support and celebrate children’s learning. Below you will see orienteering maps which were professionally created. These allow learning across the curriculum, also enabling the children to learn outside the classroom as well as inside it. Take a look at other Geography examples around our school: